Susan Maples, DDS
Dr. Susan has practiced dentistry in Holt for over 30 years.
As a life-long student under some of the most renowned teachers in her field, she has successfully blurred the lines between work and play. Enhancing her education is not just a responsibility she holds dear, but a passionate hobby!
“Dentistry is a blessing to me. I can’t imagine anything I’d rather be doing than this! It’s a joy to make such a positive difference in the lives of my patients and team members.”
- Dr. Susan Maples
Dr. Susan is an international speaker in the area of total health, the oral health and systemic health connection, and the diabetes epidemic in America. She also speaks in the areas of leadership, team-building, advanced case planning and acceptance, relationship-based target marketing, and growing healthy kids in your dental practice.
When Susan is not practicing dentistry she serves as a leader in helping her profession take their place in the U.S. health crisis. To help educate the public on the mouth-body health connection, Dr. Susan authored the book BlabberMouth! 77 Secrets Only Your Mouth Can Tell You To Live a Healthier, Happier, Sexier Life. In addition, she is the co-researcher in an award-winning study on detecting diabetes in your dentist’s office.
With all of her work in advanced dental restoration, Dr. Susan has never outgrown her love for working with children. She is the author and originator of the Hands-On Learning Lab™ Kit for children and is recognized nationally for making a significant difference in children’s oral and physical health.
Susan feels it is also important to give back to our community. Dr. Susan and her team donate their time and care for people who are vulnerable, disabled, medically compromised or financially distraught. She is eager to speak before services organizations or promote children’s health with hands-on learning in our schools.
In addition, she writes a monthly dental column in Healthy and Fit Magazine and is published in several nationally recognized dental journals including Dental Economics and the Journal of the Michigan Dental Association.
In her free time Susan she enjoys running, weight training, skiing (on snow and water), snowboarding, cooking and art. She also loves hanging with her 22-year-old son Hunter.
In 1999, Dr. Susan was recognized as a leader in professional ethics and was tapped into the honorary society of the American College of Dentists. She also participates in the ethics and practice management curriculums at the University Of Michigan School Of Dentistry.
Dr. Susan's Education
Madonna University (MSBA) 1994
University of Michigan – School of Dentistry 1985
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Denison University: 1982
East Lansing High School: 1978
East Lansing, Michigan
Susan is the recipient of several national awards, including:
- 2016 Mentorship Award - The Lucy Hobbs Project by Benco Dental
- Top 25 Women in Dentistry – Modern Dental Network
- Top Eight Innovators in Dentistry – Incisal Edge Magazine
She is also a graduate of:
- The Dawson Academy: TMJ, Occlusion and Advanced Restoration
- Spear Education: Occlusion, Complex Restoration and Cosmetics
- Louisiana State University Cosmetics Continuum
- Kois Center: Occlusion, Complex Restoration and Cosmetics
- Turbyfill Seminars in advanced denture techniques
- Six Month Smiles: Short term orthodontics
- Columbia University Implant Dentistry Curriculum: implant placement and restoration
As a member of three advanced study clubs, she studies with peers who are also leaders in advanced restorative, relationship-based dentistry:
- Greater Lansing Wellness and Prevention Study Club
- R.L. Frazer and Associates: National Study Club
- Terry Goss and Associates: Safety Harbor Study Club
She is an active member in the following organizations:
- American Dental Association
- Michigan Dental Association
- Central District Dental Society
- AADPA: American Academy of Dental Practice Administration
- American College of Dentists
- American Academy of Facial Esthetics
- American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry
- International Congress of Oral Implantologists
- American Equilibration Society
- AAOSH: American Academy of Oral and Systemic Health